Tuesday 15 March 2011

I love you. I love you not. I love you...

A Gap Year experience just wouldn't be complete without the complementary holiday romance. Falling in- and out- of love is all part of the experience. Or so Hollywood and countless WH Smith travel novels tell me. Nevertheless, even this cynic has managed to feel the love. Wait, maybe love is a too strong a word, let's call it attraction.



Warm sunny days spent flirting in parks, a good night out at a pub or spending the day trawling through flea-markets is almost enough to make me forget about those bleak, sludgy days that make me want to strangle every last person trying to squeeze into the already over crowded tubes. Yes, the past two weeks has seen this romance blossom as the days become longer and the nights warmer. Flowers are springing up and I am finally free to enjoy frolicking in the sunshine.

Sunshine and flowers, flirting and frolicking, you must think I've gone barmy. Actually, it isn't a London lad that's set my heart aflutter but Lovely London itself. That's right, I said lovely. And it is, really.



Practically royalty...
After a cold, grey winter spent shivering on buses then sweating on tubes only to be splashed by sludge from passing cars, the sun is finally making a regular appearance and London is like a different place: smiling, friendly people run, walk and ride their bikes- as opposed to the miserable people who run, walk and ride their bikes. And although this won't be my first summer here it has been my first full winter and it has been hard to imagine that it would ever end. Alas, it nearly has and how I look forward to when it finally does: walks along the river, a visit to Regents Park, daylight till 10pm, oh I'm excited already! On that note, maybe talk to me in a few months time when the tourist season is in full swing and I'm still sweating on the tubes- there'll surely be another grumpy complaint on here...

I say, old chap, a fair weather lover indeed!



Hardly the overcrowding I mentioned!
Just a few hours of snow- Xmas 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment